Saturday, August 16, 2008

Breathing - Lifehouse

I'm really tired. And going to bed. I get to do a ropes course all day tomorrow. And be tired. SO that'll be fun. Really.

Apparently it only gets worse. The tiredness. Or at least, doesn't improve. Welcome to your new state of being, Katelyn. Enjoy.

I miss people. Still. But I'm happy, and loving life.

The Mount is weird with just RAs and a few students.

Reslife has taken over my life right now. Really. It's like...God, Reslife...physical needs..........family. But I'm excited. PLUS my girls are starting to warm up to me a little. Funny what leaving your door open can do. I got one bulletin board done. It was easy, just putting up event flyers and making them look pretty. I have to be responsible.

The readings were awesome for today. They totally fit for what I'm doing, and made me happy. :)

First reading:
Isaiah 56: 1, 6-7
1 Thus says the LORD: "Keep justice, and do righteousness, for soon my salvation will come, and my deliverance be revealed.
6 "And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD, and to be his servants, every one who keeps the sabbath, and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant --
7 these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.
Keep justice and do righteousness....foreigners come to serve the LORD, hold fast to the law and the sabbath...come to the holy mountain and be joyful in the house of prayer.

the "holy mountain" is a phrase people use a lot around here. "Upon this holy mountain..." The place was founded by priests and nuns, and real Saints walked the hallowed grounds. It's powerful to think about, that holy people lived and worked and strove for holiness and ministered and taught and learned as you're doing RIGHT NOW. Continuing their ministry...striving to fulfill your own call to holiness. Maybe that's why I love this place. There's something about the Mount...everyone says that too. No one can describe it, but there's something here. And not just the ghosts.

Second Reading:
From Romans 11
13 Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry
14 in order to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them.
15 For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead?
29 For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.
30 Just as you were once disobedient to God but now have received mercy because of their disobedience,
31 so they have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may receive mercy.
32 For God has consigned all men to disobedience, that he may have mercy upon all.
That He may have mercy upon all. Again, themes of the foreigners, going out and ministering to them, maybe at the expense of the contentment of those who are supposed to already be in the club. "For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable". Gifts we use to bring life and to serve others, to help them find the life and gifts in themselves and continue the chain with the saints. And people screw up so that God may show his mercy. Aka incidents. ((what we call it when someone gets busted, or if someone comes to us with a big problem)).

Gospel:

Story of the woman with the demoniac daughter, the "even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the master's table."

I love this story, it's one of my favorites. Fr. Brian made an interesting observation. Jesus was silent to the women's pleading at first not only to strengthen her faith, but to allow the disciples to be an advocate for her. But they didn't, they did the opposite. So He speaks, and stretches her faith more, until she makes what I consider to be one of the most awesome phrases by an extra in the Bible "even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the master's table." That takes humilty and guts. We're dogs, we require God's mercy, and through that mercy we can grow closer to Him, develop our gifts and use them for the benefit of all.

I guess today's (sunday's) readings really made me reflect on why I want to have and do my best at this job. It's almost like a ministry. We build communities of people, reach out to the individual and help them find their identity and place in the community. We're here to be a resource for them, for anything they might need, and a person who knows how to get them the help they need. And we protect them through carrying out our duty to report incidents, but also conferring with those involved afterwards to repair the relationship, show her the mercy that yes, she may have screwed up, but I'm not judging her for it, that she can pick up again and do better. Of course, most people don't see that, as residents. But that's just like ministering to the gentiles. And really, the only people who really see that are the ones who become RAs themselves, mostly. Ourselves, we're called to be living examples of our code, kind, and ultimately sacrificially loving. We're to give our time and selves until we are spent, and wake up the next morning (if we slept at all) and do it again. But at the same time, we have to take and respect a sabbath, for our own benefit and so that we can better serve them.

My residents come first, before me. I learn my limits, and while always striving to expand them, work within them to empty yourself for your residents. Because that's your job. I'm not always on duty, but I'm an RA 24/7 on campus. You're a Christian 24/7, regardless. It's a higher calling, one that I won't always live up to. But part of the code is admitting your mistake, owning up and trying harder to do better next time.

I think I'm going to like this job. Plus I get to make pretty bulletin boards and door decorations. :-)

But with that, this post was meant to be much shorter. And I need way more sleep. Goodnight, my loves. I miss you. But I'm still happy. Tired, but happy.

No comments: