Friday, August 15, 2008

A few thoughts before I really become an RA

Today's the feast of the Assumption. Meaning, the day Catholics celebrate when Mary was "Assumed" into Heaven. Aka sucked up in a heavenly cloud, body and soul. And no, there's nothing in the Bible about this. ;-) Unless you count Elijah getting sucked up on a chariot. I'm going to Mass at Noon, thus skipping RA pizza lunch. Apparently training actually starts at 2, so I'll have time to come back to my room and eat a soup or something.

I'm all moved in. WHoo! My stuff isn't completely organized yet, because I still have a lot of Kayla's stuff in my room. But that's fine. I'm so excited - I love my room. I got dark green drapes and a carpet to o with my bedspread, and a green plaid blanket for my other mattress so it's nice for sitting, plus some extra pillows for it and some blankets I brought from home. So I almost have a couch! Whooo! It's good because my tv cord is only 6 feet, and the connector is RIGHT BELOW the ceiling. But hey, at least now I won't be tempted to watch TV in bed, which is a good thing. Oh, yeah, I have a little TV. WIth a built in DVD player. :) It's pretty small, but that's fine, I don't want a big one. It's big enough so we can watch it when we really want to, but small enough so it's not a big temptation. :-) I say we. Meaning, my ressies and Kayla + the girls and Derek and Nick if they decide to bother to keep me company before I have to kick them out for curfew reasons. But hey, my room is right next to the door. :) That makes me happy, too. I also have ipod speakers docking thingy. And an eight dollar phone, because I heard last year that I have to have one. So yeah. OH!!!! almost best part: My dad got me a brita water filter, because I was telling them how the water here makes me sick (intestinal sick...if you catch my drift. Not fun) for the first few months. So after I run out of bottled water (or get close to the end) I'll try that out. :)

SO yeah, life is pretty nice in my own room.

Last night, right after my parents left, I got lonely and decided to call Benitez, because I knew he was on campus. I ended up going through the Terrace talking to people with him, and then meeting up with Ally and Janay and Jessica (another newbie...they're trying to kill that word, so people don't use it because it's mean. I like it, it's like a term of endearment...plus I don't mind a little hazing like that. :D) and we all talked for a while. Then I got introduced to two public safety guys that came over to bring Janay fire, and took two vehicles so that they looked official. Then I met Adam, a third year RA, and he drove all of us RAs over to Sheetz, where we got milkshakes and snacks and sat for about an hour getting to know eachother (for us n00bs) and swapping hillarious incident stories. Oh the things college kids will do...I can't wait until I have my own gossip. :)

The best thing about it was, the whole group really made me feel like a part of the staff. Even though I'm new and in Sheridan. They were all so nice and open and stuff, just doing little things to help me out. Like Adam dropped me off behind Sheridan so I didn't have to walk back from the Terrace (even though it's like the equivalent of a block). Janay showed me how to get the milkshake machine to work the best, because I'm still a Sheetz noob.

I guess this all goes to underline one of the reasons why I think I'm going to like this job. The RAs remind me of a low class police force, who go out together and have fun and swap stories, but give eachother buttloads of crap and complain and bitch about people, but when it comes down to it each person is capable of doing their job well, and really genuinely cares about it, a lot. I mean, the people I was with last night are capable of running the whole building by themselves. They're all decent people, who really are (as cheesy as it is) trying to make their world a better place.

I sort of wish I was on the Terrace staff - they have this weird batshitcraziness about them. But I can't wait to get to know my own staff, either. After training, apparently staffs get pretty tight and don't really interact with the other ones. But hey, I'll be visiting the Terrace to see derek and nick, at least, and I'll probably trek up to fourth Brute to see benitez every once in a while. :) So things will be good.

And I has four keys. To get into all the buildings. :) Heck. Yes. I have power. WhooO! :)

No comments: